Friday, March 20, 2009

Fly Roller

(I have downloaded some FABULOUS pictures of the apartment and surroundings, but we're paying per Mb until we get internet at the house next week. Until then you'll have to use your imagination unfortunately. I'll update the blogs with the photos. They are really beautiful and FR has been keeping me company)

Well, so far the trip has been amazing. I checked in easily albeit it with a $45 dollar charge for my suitcase that was 15lbs overweight. The line / the wait was extremely short and very easy. I walked down the halls after the shuttle and my eyes caught a sign that read “British Airways Lounge.” It looked VIP, but I figured there was no hurt in trying and shimmied on in there like I belonged. No one said a word or even stirred. And there it was… this magical land full of free sandwiches, chips, cookies, beer, wine, liquor, juice, water, soda and WIFI! Holy guacamole! British Airways is not playing around. I found myself situated in the comfy blue couchy chairs and plugged in my laptop, pw was London. I suddenly realized both me and the bunny were Fly Rollers! (In case you don't know, the bunny will be with me the whole trip, "hopping" into photos and his initials - FR - will change name frequently.) I enjoyed watching and listening to the 70’ish white man laugh in 20 second intervals on his cell phone for 10 minutes and speak what sounded like poor japanese. But he was speaking japanese and that was cool! He had one of those laughs that took about 7 seconds start to finish belting out nothing but pours of wind like milk out of a jug.

A lady announced it was time for boarding and I packed up my things. Everyone working on the plane and in the boarding area had an English accent. I was loving it. I considered testing out the validity of my accent, but was too nervous and didn’t go through with it. I still have time.
The plane is huge - a 777. I’m in the back but I asked the Universe for an open seat in my row and I got it. So grateful. The plane isn’t packed but there are some full rows. I’m glad I’ll be able to stretch out. I also hoped for an aisle seat and got that as well. Usually I’m a window gal, but with 8 hours on a plane I’m going to want freedom to move about the cabin. Wrong airline?
I’m sure you don’t care about meals or details about cute ice cubes so I’ll go on.

But, I just have one question: When you crawl out of your seat and waddle to the bathroom with the green vacant sign, you lock, you leave your business and look in the dimly lit mirror… after you do all of these things, where does the piss go after you flush the toilet? Does it go into the air? Flush and then Vwhoom!? Maybe somehow the piss gets vaporized into thin air because the altitude is high enough it will get caught up by clouds? And then would that means it gets soaked up by clouds? Because, therefore one day I will be peeing on someone’s head! I don’t think people would like that.

The flight was amazing besides not being able to sleep. I just can’t do it upright. A few times I’d slip into dreaming but it always felt short lived. I definitely am a fan of BA from here forward. If they had some sort of chat room I'd go on and pledge my allegiance. They had an awesome nature documentary on Hammerhead Sharks and Sperm Whales that kept me entertained and with my free snacks from the BA Lounge (not to be confused with the BK Lounge) I stashed away in my bag for the flight I felt like I was in a movie with my popcorn and my soda. Oh, and a kit kat. The dinner was chicken pasta with all sorts of yummy side things. I definitely feel like a Fly Roller today. About 30 minutes till I’m in London and then a 2 hour layover.

FR is hangin’ tough.

Layover in London felt short lived. There was barely enough time to get through a very long and grumpy line in customs. I got through and had about 10 minutes before boarding. I was able to snooze a bit on this ride. It was only 2 hours, so after my shabby sandwich I replaced my eye mask and caught about an hour of zzz’s. This was definitely not the same BA that I had experienced on the other flight. But I was able to have another chance at an empty seat in our row so it was nice to stretch out a bit.

Fly Roller and I landed on time in Malaga. I usually have remarkable baggage luck and was expecting it once again, but after an hour I was still staring at the luggage track like a lost duckling. I didn’t have any bags and didn’t know who to ask (in Spanish) why they weren’t here. I tried to ask someone where I should go and he looked at me with a firm “No!” and pointed to a sign behind him that said no re-entry. In hindsight it’s funny, but at the time my eyes started to well up with concern. I waddled my way over to the lost luggage office and made a claim with no address and no phone number. She immediately knew my name and said that one of my bags was still in London. The other, however, was with them. Phew! It was the big one with all my toiletries! I atleast had that, so I was still grateful. I also had decided to keep my electronics and money in my carry-on so I wasn’t too worried. It was just clothes. I knew God was still taking care of me!

Tony Czar was there to meet me, and Terri and him and I drove to the new apartment. It is so gorgeous!! It’s actually in Puerto Banos rather than Marbella. I was pleasantly surprised to have marble floors, leather couches, a private room and bathroom, washer & dryer and a spectacular view of the beach and some villas. Our patio is a large red brick standing area. I couldn’t’ have asked for something prettier. The pool is insane, the walkways are covered in flowers and everything looks and feels like I'm in a movie.

We drove around town running errands and getting groceries. We ate a 3 course meal at a restaurant in downtown Marbella called VIPS. I had potatos fritas to start, barbecue ribs (I know, how un-spanish) and a chocolate brownie with ice cream for dessert. Give me a break!! I was still adjusting to being in Spain. I’ll start being all cultured tomorrow. Right now, me and Fly Roller are EXHAUSTED.

I’m really glad Fly Roller is here with me. Tony, too. It’s so nice to have a friendly face to hug and laugh with and eat with and laugh with... (I said it twice on purpose.)

I am exhausted. I haven’t slept for 2 days. Not sure what the plan is for tomorrow since we don’t have internet. Probably the first plan is to get internet. Then we’ll be able to research what we can do. Tony leaves Monday and we’ll be teaching all weekend so this is his party day. I, of course, will keep you posted.

Love and miss you all already, Jojo

p.s. As always, please follow and/or comment so I know you’re out there.

3 comments: