Sunday, March 29, 2009

Freaking Ridonkulous!!


Today was amazing! I woke up at 10am of my own accord to a beautiful sunny day in Spain.
Terry was still asleep so I slapped on my eency weency bikini and headed to the balcony where two warm green lounge chairs and a view of the ocean awaited me. Mmm. 30 minutes later I heard Terry stirring. We decided to travel to Tarifa today since it was nice. Tarifa is about an hour and a half away, recommended to us by friends, due it being known for its large waves and beautiful beaches. We decided to cook some chicken curry and rice for a beachy lunch. I threw on my denim mini jumper and some cute boots, Terry hopped into her camisole and shorts – we looked so cute! :) I grabbed the water and my bag that has speakers, Terry grabbed the ipod and the food. We were off!
It was a really gorgeous drive – once we figured out where we were going. TomTom (the GPS with a Brit accent) really didn't know what was going on. We realized what we knew is that the ocean needed to be on the left and we drove down the Motorway – 120 km/hr. We stopped and got some Pim's, which I am addicted to.
The view was amazing. It was hard for me to take pictures since I was driving a stick shift and trying to roll down the windows. We had on a/c. Too much multi-tasking.
So, as I said I was driving. Obviously the Motorway is not challenging. Get into 5th gear – you're golden. I had to drive in the city – not too bad. I had to parallel park – maybe. Parallel park on a hill - okay now you're pushing it. So, the time came. There was a bit of a slope, but I surprisingly pulled through and parked the car into a spot. I had to reverse twice. It was a clean job. I looked over at Terry with much pride and she said “Now you've done one of the hardest things you'll have to do.” With a big chester grin on my face my foot became disconnected from my brain and let go of the brake... and that would be us hitting the car in front of us. Huhm. Not too much damage. Just the license plate. Still funny, though. How do you say Murphy's Law in Espanol??
After making fun of me for a bit we opened the car door and WHOOOSH!! The wind hit us! It was definitely NOT the same weather as Marbella. Can you say 11degrees Celsius? That's about 25 degrees Fahrenheit. Not feeling so cute in my jumper anymore. But! No fear because the beach was going to be beautiful, and at least I had on my boots!! Thank goodness for the boots! My rock, my salvation!!Sooooo, we started to walk down to the beach, where it was even windier. We found out that Tarifa was also known as Wind Surf Beach. You can see the pictures of kites – there were probably 30 kite surfers out there. It was really cool to watch. As Terry got stuck trying to light a cigarette in 25 mph winds I continued to stroll down the beach, appreciating the huge waves, my scarf, the sun, my pockets, the sand, my boots. As I continued to stroll, I looked to my right to see that there was a big puddle of water on the beach, completely separate from the ocean. I thought to myself “Hmm, that's weird.”
So I continued to walk and appreciate the scenery. The next thing I know, I look down and I am now “stranded on an island.” The water has dribbled up all around me from the waves slowly washing upon shore. How could this happen to someone? Wouldn't they notice? Yes, you notice the wave is coming. And then you realize it's going to puddle anywhere you walk because of the dips in the sand. Well, I just lost it. I thought this was one of the funniest things that has ever happened to me. I'm sitting there throwing a fit, hands in my lap, bent over howling on the beach by myself. Such a scene. One of the surfers who was at the edge of the water most undoubtedly thought I was a few crayons short of a box, but I didn't care; I was rolling. Here is this white girl in Spain in a little denim jumper in boots at a notoriously winded beach stranded in a puddle on shore. There was just no getting out of it – the shit was funny. Anyway, unless I waited until the water evaporated I was going to have to tread through 3 inches of ocean water in shmooshy sand in boots. Jojo, why didn't you just take off your boots and walk barefoot? 11 degrees Celsius – that's why. Anyway, it didn't matter. This moment was priceless. So hilarious. I am still laughing. That is why you see the picture of sandy mudded boots. My souvenir for life. I will never put those on and not think about being stranded on an island.
We walked around for a bit and headed back up to the car after only about 45 minutes. We ate our beach lunch in the car and drove over to the cliff that you can see in the photos. It is the “Southest” point of Europa. We were able to drive half way up it and see the boats leaving for Africa. On one side is the Meditteranean, the other is the Atlantic. The difference in color was literally a light jade to a deep, dark purplish turquoise. So interesting to see the calm waters on one side of the rockas and then these HUGE waves. Anyway, that is Africa in the background. So cool. 10Km away. “Hey guys, I'm headed to Africa today I'll be back later.” Woa! I'll definitely be going to Tangier in Morocco when my parents come on the 8th of April.
So, we headed home, stopped so I could take a picture of the donkey and one of Gibraltar. Got back into town and stopped at a grocery store to grab some yummies. We found a movie that has English! :) Terry said she thought she might die without TV in English for one more day.
Tomorrow we are going to call a local place that offers cave repelling. I think that sounds like so much fun. Hopefully not as cold, and I definitely won't be wearing a skirt to it. Maybe my beach boots though. Who else can say they have beach boots? I am unique.
I was contacted by a few people in the past few days that found out I was in Spain through YouTube or friends or something that will be setting up workshops in Madrid, Barcelona, and Switzerland before I leave to go back to LA. Very excited about that, and will keep you posted when things are booked solid.
It's a good life.

Enjoy the pictures. Night.
Entering Tarifa, Africa in the background...

Kite Surfers!



Stranded on an island...


Makes for muddy boots...


Me in my "cute" jumper...


"Southest" point of Europa



Boats to Africa...


Rapunzel's house maybe?


Mediterranean Sea

thats a cop car

soooo cute


Gibraltar


sunset from my balcony


2 comments:

  1. omg...thats...thats...thats...a donkey...!!!
    hahahahahahahha! so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bestie you're perfect for hitting the car! and TOM TOM is universally confused, in the states and in spain!!

    ReplyDelete